You know how sometimes the world tilts a bit and disrupts the balance of your already-kind-of-topsy-turvy- life? We had one of those weeks over here. But we’re at the end of it now and hope is on the horizon (as in, a grandparent is visiting tomorrow-hooray) and when all is said and done, I’m feeling thankful that it happened.

Last week my little man was sick, but I wasn’t worried because I like to think of myself as the kind of person who never gets sick. He crawled into my lap with a fever and I comforted him, and I turned on his favorite movies, and made him soup, and I helped him get better.

By Friday night, I knew something was wrong. Kind of like the calm before the storm. Like any wedding photographer would, even though I didn’t feel well-I worked a ten hour wedding shift that pushed me a bit over the edge the next day. I got really sick after that with what turned out to be bronchitis and couldn’t move. But the wedding turned out really beautiful and I wouldn’t have done it any differently.

Now that I’m on the mend, I’m feeling grateful today for the people I work with who helped make my job easier when I wasn’t feeling well. I’m glad for my parents, in laws, step sister, M and my meow town friends for keeping my spirits high. And for my work friend in FL who knew I was sick and took the time to brighten my day with a phone call. And for Big T, who I’m now indebted to for life for taking such good care of me and getting me Hot and Sour Soup from One World Vegetarian every day because it’s the only thing that I felt like eating.

I discovered that the things I usually think are important weren’t so important this week. I was so sick that I couldn’t say anything to Big T about the mix matched outfits he sent Little T to school in, or what he packed for his lunches, or that he didn’t go over his sight words, or that the house was kind of messy. I just watched it all unfold and was grateful that someone was taking care of me and Little T.  The room mom at Theo’s school and I had planned a lot of things for teacher appreciation week, and Big T had to do all of them for us because she also had an emergency. It may not have been what we’d planned, but it happened and everyone was happy. Little T was happy and Big T was happy and Little T’s teacher was happy, and maybe certain things don’t matter as much as I think they do sometimes. It just made me so glad to have Big T by my side.

And today, I woke up feeling better like I’d survived, and I went and picked out an outfit that matched for Little T. Little T held my hand all morning because he was glad I was up and feeling better and he had missed me. I helped pack lunch and discovered there was nothing to pack because we needed to go to the grocery store, but we made it work anyway. Big T gave me a hug and said it was easier when I’m feeling well and he’s glad I’m back, and that made me happy too.

But also, Little T and Big T took the extra time this week to build this incredible tower. Pretty impressive, my two T’s. Imagine if I’d been sick a little longer, we could have had a theme park in our living room. 😉

So that’s the update from over here. Be well, my friends! So glad we’re all feeling better.